Orthodontics & Braces in Prince George
Dr. Richard Wilczek has provided general practice orthodontics in Prince George for the past 20 years and continues to take post-graduate courses in orthodontics to update his skills. Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry involving the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of misaligned teeth and the jaw.
When your teeth and jaws are properly aligned, they have the best possible function and improved aesthetics. If your teeth aren’t positioned as they should be, you may experience early tooth decay, difficulty speaking and chewing, and even bone loss. Dr. Richard Wilczek Inc. primarily deals with orthodontics for children and adolescents, but adults can also benefit from an orthodontic treatments, including braces in Prince George. Call today to schedule a consultation for you or your child.
What is Orthodontics?
Properly aligned teeth are essential not only for aesthetic reasons, but also for your overall dental health. Misaligned teeth lead to various issues such as gum disease, decay in the teeth and tooth pain. Not only that, improperly placed teeth can make it hard to chew, and this can in turn cause headaches, back and shoulder pain and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders. However, not everyone is blessed with straight teeth. This is where orthodontic treatments come in. Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that deals with correcting irregularities in the teeth and jaw. Orthodontic treatment involves the use of dental devices like bands, braces and retainers to alter the positioning of the teeth. These devices retrain your muscles, gently move your teeth and affect the growth of your jaw.
Orthodontic treatments can treat a range of problems such as crooked teeth, overbites, underbites, jaw misalignment and more. At Dr. Richard Wilczek Inc., we provide quality orthodontic treatments in Prince George for all age groups. Our team will carefully inspect you and suggest the best course of action. To learn more about orthodontics, please speak to our team.
What Can Braces Do?
Braces are designed to address many types of orthodontic problems, some of which may have been inherited, by slowly shifting the position of your teeth. Braces are able to effectively do the following:
- Straighten crooked teeth
- Treat jaw joint disorders
- Fix an overbite or underbite
- Provide separation for crowded teeth
- Close large or small gaps between the teeth
- Correct speaking, breathing and eating problems due to tooth alignment
Orthodontics is also ideal for treating tooth or jaw problems resulting from an accident, dental disease or premature tooth loss. Your dentist will determine if you’re a good candidate for braces.
When Can I Get Braces?
Adults can usually receive orthodontics at any time, and children should have their first orthodontic evaluation between the ages of 7 and 10. The sooner a dentist can identify any dental problems, the better! Braces are very common and usually worn for 18 to 24 months. It’s very important that you carefully follow your dentist’s treatment plan and properly care for your braces and any other orthodontic appliances you use. If you do, you should get the gorgeous results you want!
Types of Orthodontics
Orthodontics has continued to evolve, and in addition to traditional braces composed of brackets and wires, we now have clear brackets for the upper front teeth that are less noticeable. In some cases, orthodontic treatment can be carried out with clear plastic aligners that don’t require brackets or wires at all!
Your dentist will discuss your options with you during your first orthodontic consultation. You can expect a full examination of your teeth and jaw. Photos and x-rays will be taken to track your progress throughout the course of your treatment.
If you’re interested in braces for yourself or your child, contact our office to ask about our orthodontic services or to set up an appointment.
Why Choose Us for Orthodontic Treatment in Prince George?
Over the years, our clinic has provided quality orthodontic solutions to countless clients of all ages. There are many reasons to choose our services, such as:
- Comprehensive solutions: We offer an extensive range of dental care services suitable for patients of all age groups. We can meet all your dental requirements, including restorative, cosmetic and general dentistry services.
- Knowledge:Our seasoned staff has the know-how to provide you with long-lasting solutions. Dr. Richard Wilczek has been an instructor and mentor in the Dental Program at CNC for the past 25 years and continues to take advanced dental courses.
- Excellent customer service: We provide our clients with a hassle-free experience and a relaxed and comfortable environment. We assess your requirements to devise dental solutions and treatment plans tailored specifically for your needs.
- Children-friendly: While every parent wants to ensure their children get the dental care they need to maintain healthy teeth throughout the years, getting them to the dentist isn’t always easy. Here at our dental clinic in Prince George, we prioritize the comfort and safety of all patients and create a pleasant and relaxed environment for your children.
Other Services We Offer
Here at our family-friendly dental clinic, we offer a comprehensive range of dentistry services under one roof. Apart from orthodontics and braces, we also offer the following:
Orthodontics & Braces in Prince George | Frequently Asked Questions
At Dr. Richard Wilczek Inc., we believe that the key to making the right decisions about your dental health is having the correct information. The following are some frequently asked questions about orthodontics and braces:
Who needs orthodontic dental services?
It is not always easy to tell whether you require orthodontic treatment. However, if you have any of these issues, feel free to make an appointment with us:
- You have crooked and misaligned teeth.
- You frequently cut your tongue against your teeth.
- Your teeth don't close over properly when your mouth is closed.
- You have trouble pronouncing certain sounds because of the way your tongue positions itself on your teeth.
- Your jaw clicks when you wake up.
Our team will be able to assess your symptoms and determine whether you require and will benefit from orthodontic treatment.
Will getting braces interfere with my hobbies?
You can still play sports, musical instruments and enjoy many of your favourite foods. You may need to make some adjustments when you get braces, but life with braces is easier than you think! If you are playing sports, wear an orthodontic mouthguard to protect your braces. Our team will be happy to consult you and answer all your questions.
What foods should I avoid while wearing braces?
Even though braces have become sturdier with modern technology, it is recommended to avoid hard, crunchy or sticky foods such as hard candy and bubble gum, nuts, and pretzels, as they may damage certain components of your braces.
How long will the orthodontic treatment last?
When it comes to the duration of orthodontic treatment, there is no set standard. The course of your treatment will depend entirely on factors like the severity of the issue, the crookedness of the teeth and the treatment you choose to undertake.
If you have any more questions about our orthodontic treatment in Prince George, please reach out to us, and we will get back to you promptly.