Stay Healthy with Sedation
Serious dental issues can develop when you avoid the dentist. While you might face some minor effects, like a cavity, a periodontal (gum) problem or a dental abscess requires more significant attention. Instead of letting severe issues develop, prevent these problems with regular professional visits. Allow sedation to relax and calm you so you can safeguard against future complications. Not only will you feel calm while the dentist works on you, you may hardly remember the visit even after the sedation has worn off. Patients who undergo benzodiazepine sedation generally have limited memories of the procedure — some even sleep through it.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Nervousness in patients during dental treatments is very common. This is the reason why people fear going to a dentist. In modern dentistry, sedation is an effective method to help patients overcome their fear and anxiety. It is used in the form of nitrous oxide, oral sedatives or intravenous sedatives. The benefits of sedation dentistry are as follows:
• It gives you relief from anxiety and nervousness
• It helps avoid traumatic dental treatment experience
• It is easy, quick and convenient
• It helps you keep calm and overcome your discomfort
• It is helpful when undergoing dental surgeries
Choose the Sedation Right for You
Patients can receive either oral or intravenous (IV) sedation.
- Oral Sedation — Oral sedation has less predictability, but lasts longer. It is often best used for long procedures like restorative dental work. Children with dental anxiety also undergo this form of sedation.
- IV Sedation — IV sedation is the better option for surgical dental procedures. It works quickly and works consistently throughout the procedure.